Wellness and the Maine Senior Games
The Maine Senior Games is a great opportunity for older adults to have fun and stay fit not only through athletic competition but also through wellness events and providing wellness resources.
Upcoming Wellness Event
Maintaining Readiness for the Games During a Pandemic
January 28, 2021, 6:30-7:30pm via Zoom
This interactive Zoom session will provide athletes with a solid understanding of how you can turn your home into a weight room and how to fuel and nourish the body for athletic pursuits. We will learn and try at-home exercises that you can do with house-hold items! Coach Kelley will teach participants how to structure a resistance training program, as well as how to structure your plate to fuel your body for varying levels of activity (known as Athlete Performance Plates). Various wellness topics will be interspersed in throughout the session and questions are highly encouraged throughout the session - the more interactive, the better! Spaces are limited, so registration is required.
Lyndie Kelley, RSCC, CSCS, NSCA-CPT, FMS-C, USAW L1 has had the privilege of serving the Maine Senior Women's Basketball program as their Strength & Conditioning Coach since 2012. Coach Kelley is the Coordinator of Strength & Conditioning at the University of New England in Biddeford and has coached the Nor'easters in the weight room for the last 7 years. She has a passion for working with athletes of all ages and abilities and truly enjoys coaching athletes across the lifespan. She has coached youth, middle/high school, collegiate, professional, and adult athletes from ages 5 - 90 years. Coach Kelley also serves as the Maine State Director of the National Strength & Conditioning Association and presents on various fitness and wellness related topics on the state, regional, national and international level.
The resources below are shared as a helpful resource for our supporters and do not constitute a specific endorsement of any product and/or service.
State & National
- National Senior Games - Health and Wellness
- International Council on Active Aging - Active Aging and Wellness
- National Institute on Aging - Promoting Wellness in Older Patients
- Welcome to My Bodyweight Workout
- How to Exercise Easily at Home During the Pandemic
- 5 Exercises for You to Do at Home in the Pandemic
- How to Exercise During a Pandemic: Your COVID-19 Workout Questions Answered
- The Best Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do at Home
General Health & Specific Health Topics
- Top 10 Health and Wellness Sites for Seniors
- American Heart Association - Maine Chapter
- American Cancer Society
- American Stroke Association
- The Dempsey Center makes life better for people managing the impact of cancer.
- The National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invested in, mobilizes, and unites our community to discover a cure, delivery effective treatments, and advocate for patients and care partners.
- The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration (FTD) - It's the most common dementia for those under 60, yet it's widely misunderstood and too often misdiagnosed. Learn essential facts about FTD.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
Interested in sponsoring an upcoming wellness event or other wellness activities offered through the Maine Senior Games? Become a wellness sponsor.